Tue. Aug 16th, 2022

Day: June 24, 2022

The Lagos State Traffic Management Authority has debunked the claim that its officials set a bus ablaze in the Obanikoro area of the state. The Assistant Director, Public Affairs, LASTMA, Olumide Filade, in a statement on Friday, said the management of the agency, after assessing the trending video where it was alleged that officials of


Read More
... Read More


The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) did not recognise Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, the former Niger Delta Minister, Godswill Akpabio, and the Governor of Ebonyi State, David Umahi, as the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial candidates ahead of the 2023 general elections.

This was disclosed via the comprehensive list released on Friday by the electoral body.

It was gathered that Lawan, Umahi and Akpabio were missing from the list.

SaharaReporters earlier reported that the Independent National Electoral Commission affirmed Bashir Sheriff Machina as the winner of the Yobe North senatorial ticket of the All Progressives Congress.

Machina polled 289 votes out of 300 delegates, a certified true copy of INEC’s report from May 28, 2022, election revealed, confirming the politician’s public.

The document was certified by the electoral office on June 23, 2022.

This comes amid threats by the National Chairman of the APC, Abdullahi Adamu, who warned of severe sanctions if Machina refused to relinquish his ticket to the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan.

Adamu claimed that the party is supreme and that it reserves the right to decide who gets its ticket in any election.

He said, “There's nothing in the law stopping the Senate President from contesting for another nomination just because he lost a presidential bid.”

Politics News AddThis :  Original Author :  Saharareporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
... Read More

File photo used to illustrate story.
File photo used to illustrate story.

Terrorists on Friday morning bombed a police station at Eika-Ohizenyi, in the Okehi Local Government Area of Kogi State.

A police inspector identified as Jubril was killed during the attack, according to a report by People’s Gazette.

File photo used to illustrate story.

The terrorists reportedly stormed the police post at about 2:15am, shooting sporadically before detonating the bomb.   

A resident in the area, Abubakar Momoh, said, “The gunmen spent more than two hours inside the station operating freely without any interference from the security agencies.”

He added that the bullets from the sporadic gunshots shattered the windows of a mosque and a Catholic Church near the police station, during the attack.

He hinted that the corpse of the slain policeman had been deposited at the morgue of Obangede General hospital, a town close to the area.

The Kogi State Police Spokesman, William Ovye-Aya, who confirmed the attack via a statement, stated that the police inspector killed in the attack exchanged fire with the assailants.

“And before the Area Commander and a detachment of military could reinforce to the scene of the incident, the attackers had already fled,” Ovye-Aya added. 

He said the Commissioner of Police in the state, Edward Egbuka, has visited the scene for assessment and equally ordered an investigation into the attack.

“The CP also ordered the deployment of additional operational assets consisting of Operatives of the Police Mobile Force, Counter Terrorism Unit, Quick Response Unit, State Intelligence Bureau in synergy with other security agencies to restore normalcy in the area,” he said.

 

Insecurity Police News AddThis :  Original Author :  Saharareporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
... Read More

File Photo
File Photo

At least four suspected internet fraudsters popularly known as Yahoo boys have been arrested by the Nigeria Police Force over the death of a retired Police Deputy Superintendent and three others in Sapele, Delta State.

Some gunmen had on Tuesday night at about 7:30pm allegedly shot three persons dead including a 64 years old retired Deputy Superintendent of Police, David Amenkhienan, along Ufuoma Atose street, off Shell road in Sapele, Delta State.

File Photo

The gunmen numbering about four were said to have shot dead two other people.

One of the deceased popularly referred to as “chairman” was said to be celebrating the acquisition of a new car with his friends along Shell Road when the gunmen suddenly emerged from the bush and started chasing them before finally shooting them dead in front of the retired police officer’s compound.

Edafe Bright, the Delta State Police Command’s spokesman, noted that the people connected to the incident had been arrested.

 

News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
... Read More


Ifeanyi Ejiofor, lead counsel to the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, has condemned the statement credited to President Muhammadu Buhari that Kanu would not be granted a court bail, describing it as "false and prejudicial statement.”

SaharaReporters had reported that Buhari had while responding to a question on the continued detention of Kanu during a bilateral meeting with the British Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, in Kigali, Rwanda, said that Kanu jumped bail the last time he (Kanu) was admitted to bail in Nigeria, and asked whether anyone knew whether he (Kanu) would jump bail again.

But Ejiofor, in a statement titled, “Rejoinder on the extrajudicial comments by Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (GCFRN)", said Buhari should be made to appear in court to answer for his contemptuous statement.

Ejiofor said, “Every reasonable and fair minded person who knows the event that transpired at Afarukwu Ibeku, Umuahia, between the 10th and 14th of September, 2017, must be alarmed that the President of Nigeria can afford to make this type of statement. With profound respect, the statement is careless, mischievous, utterly false in character and in content, pedestrian, and confirms once again, the entrenched hatred, odium, and contempt this infinitely divisive and partisan President has for people of the Igbo race.

"For the President to make this kind of false and prejudicial statement about a week to the delivery of a reserved Ruling on a critical application to set aside the Order revoking the bail of ONYENDU Mazi Nnamdi KANU, brought on his behalf and pending at the Federal High Court, Abuja, speaks volume.

"What really was the raison d' etre for the statement? Is it a veiled warning to the court? Does it preempt an already settled position? Will the outcome of this crucial application be merely a fait accompli? Is the statement a prognosis of what would transpire in court on the 28th of June, 2022? Is there a nexus between this statement and the ultimate decision that would eventuate on the application?"

It added, "The Ruling of the 28th of June, 2022, will confirm whether or not these musings are justified. May I now take the liberty of putting events in their right perspective.

"On the 26th of April, 2017, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu was admitted to bail by the Federal High Court and during the pendency of this charge, and while preparation was ongoing for Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi Kanu's appearance in Court on 17th October 2017, for the commencement of full trial in his case, the Nigerian Security Agents led by the Nigerian Military, brutally invaded Mazi Nnamdi Kanu's home between 10th to 14th September, 2017, in a desperate attempt to assasinate him, and in the process over 28 innocent and unarmed civilians were gruesomely murdered by the invading troops. Mazi Nnamdi Kanu narrowly escaped death during that period by mere act of providence.

"Thankfully, the judgement of the Umuahia High Court found the Federal Government of Nigeria guilty of grave violation of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu's fundamental rights following the bloody invasion of his home at Afaraukwu, Ibeku in Umuahia, Abia state, as well as the genocidal massacre of innocent and unarmed civilians therein. The judgement still subsists till date and has never been set aside. Sadly, the Federal Government ably led by President Buhari is yet to comply with the Orders issued by the Learned Trial Court in the judgement under reference.

"The discerning minds closely monitoring the ongoing persecution of Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi Kanu in a Nigerian Court, may have on several occasions, listened to the President consistently maintaining a neutral stand, and that he would allow the judicial process and law run its course.

"The pronouncement of the President of the FRN, recorded in his various public outings, prominent among them was his recent statement during the Presidential state visit to Ebonyi state, where he reaffirmed his stand that the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) ably led by himself, will not interfere in the judicial proceedings in Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi Kanu's case.

"Ostensibly, the aforesaid declaration automatically put to a halt, the efforts of the Igbo Elders and Elites, who were hitherto, gunning for a political solution."

The statement continued, "The world will recall that on the 18th December 2015, during President Buhari’s maiden media address, he boldly boasted to the world that Mazi Nnamdi Kanu being a British citizen, and consequently holding dual citizenship, should not be granted bail by the Nigeria Court.

"Unfortunately, this pronouncement negatively impacted the direction of the case then. However, His Lordship, Honourable Justice Binta Nyako, after careful review of the facts placed before the court, and consequently considering the Application presented for the bail of Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi Kanu on its merit, proceeded to grant him bail.

"While we are now preparing for another Court outing on the 28th day of June, 2022, where a crucial Ruling, which will hugely impact on the freedom of Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi Kanu will be delivered, President Buhari has made another contemptuous statement, apparently usurping the judicial powers of the Federal High Court by making extra-judical pronouncement capable of preempting the Ruling of the Court, come 28th June, 2022, and consequently, prejudicing the entire proceedings.

"It is our apt observation that President Buhari, with greatest respect to his office, stands in grave contempt of the Court Proceedings by this singular declaration, and should be made to appear in Court to answer to this contemptuous statement.

"We wish to use this medium to urge the Foreign Governments and International Communities to pay more attention to the antics of the Buhari led FGN, who have sworn to violate the principles of separation of powers by intimidating the Judge seized of this case into doing their bidding.

"Nevertheless, we wish to urge His Lordship, Honourable Justice Nyako, to remain firm in the discharge of his judicial functions/oaths, and uphold justice in this case without bowing to pressure.

"We expect nothing less than justice, come 28th June, 2022."

News AddThis :  Original Author :  Saharareporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
... Read More


A pro-Biafran group known as the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) has accused traditional rulers in the South-East region of Nigeria for the indiscriminate attacks, kidnapping and killings in the region.

The National Director of Information of the group, Sunday Okereafor, who made the accusation during an interview with The Punch on Friday alleged that the traditional rulers collected money from Fulani herdsmen and allowed them to operate in the region without restriction.

The MASSOB spokesperson said, “They (monarchs) brought Fulani herdsmen to our land. The Fulani herdsmen gave them money to come into our land and they are all over in our bushes.

“I schooled in the North. Before a Fulani man will come into your community, they must first see the monarch. After seeing the monarch, they will start operating in your bushes.

“Formerly, they paid the monarchs N100,000. Now it is N500,000. You can imagine yourself, how can a monarch leave his community, his town for the city? Tell me what he will do there. The monarchs left our community down to the city. Now the Fulani herdsmen are approaching, kidnapping our bishops and our pastors and taking people hostage.”

According to Okereafor, the killings in the region would no longer be tolerated as no one group has a monopoly on violence.

He therefore warned the perpetrators, especially the Fulani herdsmen to desist from such wicked acts forthwith or be ready to leave the Southeast completely.

He said that “It is becoming unbearable. We are now calling the Muslims in the South-East to stop kidnapping and stop killing our people.

“It is not only them who knows how to kidnap and kill in the church. If these killings and kidnappings continue, their mosques will be attacked. They should stop insulting our clerics.

“Can we insult the Imam in Owerri, in Port Harcourt, Aba or Umuahia? It is not possible. But they (herdsmen) are here insulting our clerics and pilgrims and taking them hostage.

“So, we are telling the youths in the South-East to rise up now and search all the bushes in the South-East and chase them out of our land. So, the monarchs should be held responsible because they know how the Fulani come into our land. Formally, the Fulani don't stay in the bush. They patrol in the land and after that they return to where they come from. But this time around, they are living in our bushes.

“Every day by 2am you will see them patrolling our villages. They know all the corners and link roads of our villages. So any further attack or kidnap in our communities, our churches and clerics, we will know how to deal with them.

“They should not push us to the wall. We allowed them on our land because we are not violent. But they should not push us to the wall.”

Insecurity News AddThis :  Original Author :  Saharareporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
... Read More

Few weeks after claiming the WAFU B U-20 Championship, Nigeria again won the U-17 title in the region, as five-time world champions Golden Eaglets edged the Young Stallions of Burkina Faso 2-1 in Saturday’s final at the Cape Coast Stadium in Ghana. Forward Abubakar Abdullahi had threatened the Burkinabe rear as early as the 8th


Read More
... Read More

Nigeria’s Supersand Eagles are returning to life and consequently international competition with a fixture against Libya in July. This followed the confirmation of their fixture by the Confederation of African Football. The Nigerian side would battle Libya in a two-leg playoff for a spot at this year’s Beach Soccer Africa Cup of Nations to be


Read More
... Read More

The decision by the United States Supreme Court on Friday to end the right to abortion is “a huge blow to women’s rights and gender equality”, the United Nations Human Rights Chief, Michelle Bachelet, said. “Access to safe, legal, and effective abortion is firmly rooted in international human rights law and is at the core


Read More
... Read More