Sat. Nov 27th, 2021

Year: 2021

A German regional official said Saturday that health authorities have identified the first suspected case in the country of the new COVID-19 variant in a person who returned from South Africa. “The Omicron variant has with strong likelihood already arrived in Germany,” Kai Klose, social affairs minister in the western state of Hesse, tweeted, referring…


Read More
... Read More

Nigerian disk jockey, Imohiosen Patrick, popularly known as DJ Neptune, has addressed the conflict regarding a collaboration between himself and singer, Rema. Rema had called out the DJ via his official Twitter account on Friday for releasing their collaboration, titled For You, without his consent. The DJ, however, revealed that he had indeed gotten permission from…


Read More
... Read More

The Nigerian Maritime Law Association has raised concern over the killing of four alleged pirates by the Danish naval forces. AFP reported that the incident occurred when the frigate Esbern Snare, which had been patrolling the area since early November, attempted to board the pirate boat, then an exchange of fire ensued. In a statement,…


Read More
... Read More

Singing duo, Paul and Peter Okoye have confirmed their reunion as P-Square, as the duo is set to headline the Livespot music festival on December 18, 2021. The singers announced this on Friday as they shared a flier of the event on their individual Instagram pages. Paul ‘Rudeboy’ said, “18-12-21 We are back!” while Peter…


Read More
... Read More

The World Health Organisation on Friday declared the recently-discovered B.1.1.529 strain of Covid-19, first detected in southern Africa, to be a variant of concern and renamed it Omicron. The classification puts Omicron into the most-troubling category of Covid-19 variants, along with the globally-dominant Delta, plus its weaker rivals Alpha, Beta and Gamma. Nations rushed to…


Read More
... Read More

A 400 level student from the Faculty of Education of Bayero University, Kano, Binta Isa, died on Friday night after a brief illness. This is contained in a statement by the University Head of Public Affairs, Lamara Garba, which was issued to newsmen in Kano on Saturday. According to the statement, the deceased, who hailed…


Read More
... Read More

Thailand said Saturday it will ban travellers from eight southern African countries where a new Covid-19 strain has emerged. The World Health Organisation has named the new “variant of concern” Omicron, and scientists are racing to understand it and whether vaccines need adjustments. The variant has already reached Asia and Europe with one case in…


Read More
... Read More


More countries have imposed travel bans on South Africans, following the discovery of a new, highly mutated Covid-19 variant, which has already sneaked into Europe.

The variant – now named Omicron by the World Health Organisation – has already been detected in Belgium, Botswana, Hong Kong and Israel and will rattle the prospects of persons travelling globally.

The United States is the latest country to announce it will restrict travel for non-U.S. citizens from South Africa and seven other countries starting Monday, according to senior Biden administration officials.

In addition to South Africa, other countries included in the new restrictions are Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique and Malawi.

The United Kingdom was the first to react, announcing that South African travellers would be denied entry from midday Friday.

Non-UK and Irish residents who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Eswatini, Zimbabwe or Namibia in the previous 10 days will be denied entry.

South Africa has been placed back on the UK’s restrictive red list, which enforces strict quarantine requirements for returning residents. UK and Irish residents arriving from South Africa over the weekend will be required to self-isolate at home for 10 days and take two post-arrival PCR tests.

From 04:00 on Sunday, passengers arriving in the UK will need to quarantine in a state-managed hotel, at their own cost. This is the same red list requirement which decimated South Africa’s tourism sector.

South Africa was relegated to the UK’s red list until October. South Africa’s short-lived delisting held promise for the country’s ailing tourism sector but now, with the summer season approaching, being back on the red list comes at the worst possible time.

France and the Netherlands are the latest European nations to ban South African travellers.

French Health Minister Olivier Véran announced on Friday afternoon that flights from South Africa and neighbouring countries would be suspended for 48 hours, according to France24.

“Although no cases [of B.1.1.529 infection] have been detected on French territory, the principle of maximum caution must apply,” noted a statement from the French Prime Minister’s office.

Air France has not yet issued a statement concerning flight cancellations.

Germany has moved to declare South Africa a virus variant area on Friday, according to Reuters. The travel ban is expected to come into effect on Friday night.

This classification as a virus variant area means that travellers from South Africa will be prohibited from entering Germany. Airlines will only be able to fly Germans to Germany from South Africa. These returning citizens, even if vaccinated, will be required to quarantine for 14 days.

Italy and Austria are examples of countries to which travel for South African passport holders was already prohibited. Residents and nationals returning from South Africa will be allowed to enter Italy and Austria but will be forced to quarantine for 10 days, even if they are considered fully vaccinated.

In Asia, Japan and Singapore have followed suit; meanwhile in the Middle-East, Israel, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates have also imposed bans. 

PUBLIC HEALTH News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
... Read More


No fewer than 371 out of the total 1,641 suspected kidnappers in Nigerian correctional centres have escaped within six months.

According to Daily Trust, the 371 kidnappers escaped from two correctional facilities in Imo and Oyo states between March and October this year.

On October 23, 2021, gunmen invaded a correctional centre in Oyo and set free 837 inmates, out of which 104 were suspected kidnappers.

Although the Nigerian Correctional Service said it had recaptured 262, it is not clear whether any of the kidnappers was recaptured.

Also, in an attack on a correctional centre in Imo State on April 5, 2021, 1,884 inmates escaped, 267 were kidnappers awaiting trial.

The Imo correctional centre has the highest number of kidnappers, 267; followed by Delta, 182; Taraba, 179; Katsina, 175; Akwa Ibom, 159; Edo, 126; Oyo, 104; Ogun, 81; Anambra, 66; and Enugu, 49.

Others are Zamfara, 46; Rivers, 40; Gombe, 30; Kano, 26; Bauchi, 24; Sokoto, 24; Osun, 18; Ondo, 15; Benue, 15 and FCT, 15. A list of kidnap suspects, which was compiled on March 18, 2021 revealed.

Also, 95 per cent of the suspected kidnappers, including those on the run, were said to have spent over one year awaiting trial.

The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, had disclosed that a total of 3,906 prisoners, who had escaped the nation’s custodial centres during various incidences of prison break, were still on the run.

Aregbesola, during a recent ministerial briefing hosted by the Presidential Media Team at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, had said a total of 4,369 inmates escaped from the centres from 2020 to date, adding that 984 of the number had so far been recaptured. 

The minister explained that the biometrics of all custodial inmates in the country had been taken, which he said would enable the escapees to be rearrested.

“How long can they continue to run from the state? The state is a patient bird. You can run but you can never hide. We have their biometrics. Whenever and wherever they appear to transact any business, their cover would be blown open,” he said.

However, a senior NCoS official said the rising cases of prison breaks in the country were connected to the keeping of criminals like kidnappers and robbery suspects in prison for a very long time without trial.

The official said, “They (kidnappers) are kept in various correctional centres for years awaiting trial. This always gives them opportunity to establish contacts with their gang members who mostly attack the prisons and set them free.

“Until we get it right, this will continue unabated. So, it’s high time for the government to do something about these criminals, because keeping them without trial is like setting them free, indirectly. We are tired of keeping them here,” he added.

 

News AddThis :  Original Author :  SaharaReporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
... Read More

File photo used to illustrate story.
File photo used to illustrate story.

The abductors of the principal, vice principal and three N-Power teachers of Auga Community Grammar School in the Akoko Area of Ondo State have demanded N35million ransom for their release.

This was made known by the wife of the principal, Mrs Hellen Adeyemi, who confirmed the ransom in a telephone call, stressing that they had no capacity to raise the ransom.

File photo used to illustrate story.

The school principal and others were reportedly kidnapped along Auga-Ise road in Akoko North East council area of Ondo State.

The gunmen abducted three teachers also of same school identified as Oloyede Bukola, Adagunodo Funmilayo and Blessing Okeke.

One of the victims, Blessing Okeke, was released after the captors discovered that she was pregnant.

Eyewitnesses’ account said that the incident occurred on Thursday afternoon while they were travelling in a Blue Toyota Corolla car belonging to the school Principal along the Auga-Ise road in Akoko North East council area of the state.

The source said that the unsuspecting victims were ambushed and whisked away into the thick forest by the abductors.

Blessing who narrated the incident said they were waylaid while travelling in the Principal’s vehicle from the school back home. She noted that they trekked for hours inside thick forest before she was released after their abductors discovered that she was pregnant.

However, the Divisional Police Officer for Ikare division, Oladutoye Akinwa, said detectives had been deployed to comb the forest in a bid to secure the release of the victims.

Akinwa added that the vehicle in which the victims were travelling before their abduction had been recovered from the spot it was abandoned by the kidnappers.

Residents of Akoko towns have always called on the state government to beef up security in the Northern senatorial district due to the increase in crime rates after the removal of military checkpoints across the state. 

Insecurity News AddThis :  Original Author :  Saharareporters, New York Disable advertisements : 
... Read More